My husband and I have tried to be eating less meat for health and money reasons. I grew up in a family who LOVES meat, so eating meals with out it just seemed wrong to me. One day though I decided I would try to create a recipe for chili where you wouldn’t miss the meat, and it turned out great! Jesse even said he liked it better without meat! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Make sure you add the banana pepper! It gives it a great taste. This recipe makes about 6 servings.
1/2 cup carrots, chopped coarsely
1 medium onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
minced jalapeno to taste
3 tablespoons minced banana pepper
3 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoon cummin
cayenne pepper to taste
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of water ( more or less depending on how thick you like your chili)
1/3 cup of frozen corn
Chopped cilantro to taste
Sour cream to taste
Cheese to taste
Green salsa to taste
1. In dutch oven saute onion, carrots, celery, bell, banana, and jalapeño peppers on medium heat until onions are translucent.
2. Add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper, stir in for about 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes and paste and stir for another minute.
4. Add beans, can of water, and frozen corn, bring to boil.
5. Bring heat down and simmer, covered halfway, about 15 minutes or until flavors are combined.
6. Scoop into bowls, top with cilantro, green salsa, sour cream, and cheese!